There are currently between 30 and 40 people in this Group. We are enthusiastic amateurs, and we learn from each other, and from experts – who we arrange to meet in classroom settings or “in the field”.
The majority of our meetings (each one is on the last Thursday of the month), are away from Saltash – at places which are of geological interest. We visit such venues as caves, quarries, mining sites, and landscape features with geological characteristics.
When appropriate we meet experts, by arrangement, to hear professional explanations of the geological matter in hand. We also, sometimes, invite speakers to our meetings in Saltash. Occasionally, we also have “classroom meetings”, when we each research a topic, or part of a subject and share it with the group.
The programme for 2019 is expected to be:-
- 30 May Visit to Plymouth University to use electron microscope to view rocks
- 27 June “Torquay rock walk”
- 25 July Dartmoor tin mine visit
- 29 August Quarry visit Launceston
- 26 September Buckfastleigh Caves
- 31 October Classroom session or Cornwall County Geologist
- 28 November Devon Great Consols Mine talk and visit
NOTE: This programme may be the subject of change – so please check with firstname.lastname@example.org before making plans to join or attend the Group.