The Cultural Explorers Group is a way for our U3A members to connect with like-minded people who would like to explore different cultures but don’t like to travel alone.
Group members share their wish lists of places they would like to visit to learn about the culture, history and traditions of a place, through the group leader, by e-mail. If several members are interested in a particular trip, I do some research on travel, accommodation, sight-seeing, etc. and those interested meet up to explore options.
This is where the role of the ‘virtual’ group ends. Any holidays undertaken are made outside the U3A organisation and you need individual travel insurance.
You can contact me at email@example.com to add your name to the group. You only need to respond to the trips you are interested in, which cuts down on e-mail traffic.
Below are some of the trips we have been exploring. As you can see, these include some trips that explore UK culture and traditions in the broadest sense. I am open to any suggestions.
Numbers can be as few as two or as many as a dozen. This seems to work well.
- Guernsey – History of WWII (scheduled for May 1-5)
- Galway – 2020 European City of Culture (planned for September)
- Bletchley Park with overnight stay nearby (in the planning stage)
- Narrowboat canal adventure (research being done by Roger Fursier)
- Cotswolds Gentle Walking (planned for November)
- Learn to play Bridge (scheduled for May 15-18)
Unfortunately, all these have had to be cancelled and/or put on hold because of the Covid19 pandemic. I hope it won’t be too long before we can pick up again. So let’s stay positive and keep the ideas coming.